Santucci’s Square Pizza

The Pizzabeasta and I were enjoying a beautiful fall evening that felt more like summer, and were on our way to my favorite pizza restaurant in the city when an emergency at work called the Pizzabeasta away.  Since I had pizza on my mind more than usual....and no food in my house owing to having gotten home today from a business trip...I decided to order in.  I decided to try someplace new tonight and called up Santucci’s, an iconic pizza place in South Philly that I’ve been meaning to try.

I placed the order and was torn between ordering a small (4 pieces) and a large (10 pieces).  The nice young woman on the phone gently suggested the larger size, so I went with it.  Then after I found out it was going to be an hour and 15 minutes for delivery!  I wanted my pizza now!  Oh well, I forced myself to take care of a couple things and the time would fly, and that’s true.  Pupperoni got her walk;  I unpacked; I got in my PJs and washed my face, and before I knew it, the pizza was here.  All told, it took less than 45 minutes from when I ordered.  I appreciated the delivery person’s status update texts, too, so overall it was a good delivery experience.

When I opened up the rectangular box, I thought “Where’s the cheese?!”  Santucci’s pizza is rectangular and the cheese is beneath the sauce!!  What a different pizza experience!  It’s just sort of fun, right?!  The lovely pizza box said Santucci’s is “Philly’s Original Square Pizza since 1959” so they must have a lot of followers and staying power, and I can see why.

The pizza itself was good.  It was different, but it was good.  The red sauce was thin and tangy and maybe *slightly* smoky.  I liked it.  It wasn’t the most amazing sauce ever, but I liked it.  The dough is really interesting — it is much more doughy and chewy than most pizza.  Again, I liked it.  It was slightly heavy, but that didn’t stop me from eating through 4 pieces (which made me glad I listened to the girl who answered the phone...and made me think that I should probably watch my diet tomorrow...). I’m not quite clear how much cheese there was.  I believe there was cheese, but it somehow was sort of melded into the dough, so it was a little hard to tell where the dough ended and the cheese started.  The toppings (green pepper and tomato) were adequate.  I found myself eating and a eating and eating.  I didn’t want to stop eating.  So that must mean I liked it!  And FWIW, Pupperoni seemed happy with the crust. ;)

In sum, if you are looking for a “different” pizza experience that has a sort of comfort food element to it, I think you’ll be happy with Santucci’s. Somehow the pizza *felt* like family, if that makes any sense.  It is the pizza analog to hanging out in your best friend’s living room.

The Pizzanista’s recommendation:  Santucci’s is best for making your stomach happy after a long work week, assuming you order a little ahead.

Comments

Popular Posts